The Office of the Chancellor is responsible for the orderly and proper functioning of Hawaiʻi Community College, and is responsible for carrying out the objectives of the College. Within the rules and regulations of the University of Hawaiʻi System, the Office of the Chancellor:
- Issues rules and regulations governing the activities of the College
- Develops long-range plans for the growth and improvement of the College.
- Recommends appointments, tenure, leaves, terminations and promotions for all College personnel.
- Maintains accreditation standards as promulgated by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, the State Legislature, and other governing bodies.
- Approves and submits a College budget to the University System.
- Serves as the College's liaison and representative to the general community including the Hawaiʻi County Government, State Legislators, and other appropriate State and community agencies, and organizations.
- Assures community involvement and program quality through the establishment of lay advisory bodies to critically review instructional programs, the continuance of a fund raising committee, and the establishment of other committees as needed.
About the Chancellor
Dr. Solemsaas earned a doctorate of education in higher education with an emphasis on community college leadership from Washington State University and a master’s in public administration from the University of Washington. She earned a bachelor of science in accounting from De La Salle University in Manila.
Presently, Dr. Solemsaas is Past President of the National Asian Pacific Islander Council, an affiliate council of the American Association of Community Colleges.