The University of Hawai‘i system, along with Hawai‘i Community College, is committed to creating a culture of equality, acceptance, and respect for all members of our campus community regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation.
The University of Hawai‘i Systemwide Commission on LGBTQ+ Equality is comprised of representatives from all 10 UH campuses:
- Hawai‘i Community College Commissioners:
All Gender Restrooms
Safe Zone Program
The Safe Zone Program’s objective is for trained participants to utilize their gained knowledge and skills to foster a safe and inclusive community for LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff to promote social justice in the University of Hawaiʻi System.
Upon completion of a Safe Zone Training, participants will be invited to become Allies and Advocates in the University of Hawaiʻi System Safe Zone Program.
Any office or faculty/staff member that has the Safe Zone poster is a part of the previous Safe Zone Allies Program. View the list of faculty/staff members at Hawai‘i Community College that have declared that they are allies. Starting Spring 2017, the Safe Zone Program will also identify faculty/staff members who have declared that they are advocates.
Interested in attending a Safe Zone Training? Current faculty, staff, and student employees may sign up here.
Examples of Syllabus Statements
(Shared from Leeward Community College LGBTQ+ Resources, http://www.leeward.hawaii.edu/lgbtq-plus)
- In this course it is expected that we will respect and embrace our differences while engaging in discussions and in class activities.
- The expectation in this class is to voice opinions that positively add to the discussions that are not exclusive of any students’ race, gender, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, class, etc.
- This course relies heavily on discussion and the exchange of diverse ideas. Please make sure to be respectful of your fellow students and their opinions, even (and especially) when you disagree with them. As we will deal with controversial issues in this course, the environment we create as a group should reflect an attitude of open-minded curiosity and interest in one another's points of view. Please be aware that, as we work to create this environment, inflammatory racist, homophobic, transphobic, sexist, or discriminatory language or behavior will not be tolerated.
- This course might tackle social issues in this class in terms of gender, race, and class. Disruptive language will not be tolerated. Disruptive language includes, but is not limited to, violent and/or belligerent and/or insulting remarks, including sexist, racist, homophobic or anti-ethnic slurs, bigotry, and disparaging commentary, either spoken or written (offensive slang is included in this category).