PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon successful completion, students are prepared to:
- Apply basic ecosystem concepts to natural resource management.
- Use an understanding of general scientific concepts in design of forestry systems.
- Use knowledge of applicable laws and regulations to make decisions about managing ecosystems.
- Apply effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Recognize, collect, and interpret field data.
- Apply effective management practices to commercial or conservation efforts.
- Orlo Steele
Phone: (808) 934-2623
- Pamela Scheffler
Phone: (808) 934-2622
The Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs at Hawai‘i CC are an integral part of the local community and reflect its day-to-day life. Close cooperation among the faculty, employers, and employees in the community is maintained. One of the most effective formal means of providing for this type of cooperation is the Program Advisory Council. These groups advise their respective programs of training needs and new developments in the field. Councils include employers, alumni, and others knowledgeable about the field.
Tropical Forest Ecosystem and Agroforestry Management Program Advisory Council:
- Paul Banko, USGS Scientist, Pacific Island Ecosystems Research Center
- Steve Bergfeld, Branch Manager, Division of Forestry and Wildlife
- J.B. Friday, Extension Forester, UH CTAHR Coop. Extension Service
- Leila Kealoha, Teacher, Kua O Ka La Charter School
- Yi Qing Li, Professor,College ofAgriculture, Forestry and Natural Resource Management, University of Hawai‘i at Hilo
- Rhonda Loh, Chief Resources Manager, Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park
- Bruce Matthews, Dean, College of Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resource Management, University of Hawai‘i at Hilo
- Rebecca Ostertag, Professor, Department of Biology, University of Hawai‘i at Hilo
- Amanda Uowolo, Forest Ecologist USFS, PIFI
- Deborah Ward, Retired 4-H County Extension Agent, UH CTAHR Coop. Extension Service
- Aileen Yeh, Hawai‘i Agriculture Research Center
- Sharon Ziegler, Director, Hawaiian Internship Program, University of Hawai‘i at Hilo