Skip to main content
In response to the challenges presented by COVID-19, Hawai'i Community College is closed to the general public at this time, but still open to students and employees essential in supporting our delivery of classes. We are currently planning for a safe, successful return to campus for the Fall 2020 semester. Please find additional information at

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

To get an FSEOG, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) so your college can determine how much financial need you have. Students who are eligible for the Federal Pell Grants and have the most financial need will receive FSEOGs first. If there are funds remaining, a secondary disbursement will be made. The FSEOG does not need to be repaid.

The FSEOG program is administered directly by the financial aid office at each participating school and is therefore called “campus-based” aid. Not all schools participate. Check with your school's financial aid office to find out if the school offers the FSEOG.

How much money can I get?

You can receive between $100 and $4,000 a year, depending on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other aid you get, and the availability of funds at your school.

Each participating school receives a certain amount of FSEOG funds each year from the U.S. Department of Education’s office of Federal Student Aid. Once the full amount of the school’s FSEOG funds has been awarded to students, no more FSEOG awards can be made for that year. This system works differently from the Federal Pell Grant Program, which provides funds to every eligible student.

So, make sure you apply for federal student aid as early as you can. Each school sets its own deadlines for campus-based funds. The priority deadline for Hawaii Community college is March 1, 2018. For packaging guidelines please see Packaging Process. 

What are the award amounts?

The maximum award for Hawaii Community College for the 2018-2019 school year is $500.

What is the awarding process?

​Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunities Grant (FSEOG)
To receive FSEOG, students must:
Meet the “students with exceptional need” criteria, as defined, and be eligible for Federal Pell Grant. The District colleges will use the following awarding process:

  1. In February, contact the UH System Office and find out how much SEOG funding will be available to students.  Mark 75% of the funds to be awarded for students beginning their school year in the fall semester.  Set aside 20% of the funds for students beginning their school year in the spring.  Set aside 5% of the funds to be awarded to students beginning their year at in the summer.

Note:  Students who have been awarded SEOG but who are determined to have an SAP issue, will have their SEOG kept on hold for them until their appeal can be reviewed.  Those who have their appeal approved will receive their SEOG.  Those whose appeals are not approved will lose their SEOG and the funds will be awarded to another student.

If SEOG funds are increased due to converting a portion of FWS funds to SEOG, then awarding of these funds will begin with the fall group then move to spring and then summer until the funds are awarded.