for Academic Affairs
The Office of Academic Affairs is responsible for directing all instructional and academic programs. The main functions of the office are to plan, organize, and conduct formal post-secondary education classes; maintain and improve on-going certificate and degree programs, develop new programs; conduct on-going evaluation of academic programs; and maintain standards of accreditation. For all credit instruction, the office:
- Supervises and participates in delivering programs and curriculum development, off campus credit programs; reviews instructional programs; and coordinates programs and course revisions as needed.
- Supervises and coordinates the activities of unit/division chairpersons and program coordinators including personnel recruitment, selection, training, and evaluation; academic advising; planning, budgeting, requisitioning, and record-keeping; scheduling of classes; and coordinating facility usage for instruction.
- Assesses resource and staffing needs and prepares biennium and supplemental budgets for the instructional and academic support programs.
- Recommends to the Chancellor personnel transactions which relate to hiring, tenure, leaves, promotions, and terminations.
- Plans, budgets, organizes, implements, and evaluates a staff in-service training program.
- Prepares grant applications; operationalizes plans to carry out various federally-funded programs.
- Maintains and updates articulation programs with the Department of Education, four-year campuses, and other agencies.
- Coordinates the development of the College's vocational education state plan, and all accreditation reports.
- Coordinates externally-funded instructional programs.
- Provides assistance through additional services which complement instruction, assist students who need additional help, and educate students on resources available to them to support their classroom learning. Services include:
- Instructional and academic programs and courses
- Academic Support Unit
- Academic and Administrative Support:
- Banner Support
- Computer Services
- Curriculum Support
- Data Technology Support
- Edwin H. Mookini Library
- Institutional Assessment Office
- Institutional Research Office
- Instructional Technology Support Office
- The Learning Center and Hale Kea Advancement and Testing Center
- Media Services (Hilo)
- Web Support
- West Hawai'i Library and Learning Center