Nursing Tools
How To Apply To The Nursing Programs


Students are admitted to the nursing programs once a year and start their program in the fall semester. The application procedure is as follows:

  1. Complete the Intent to Apply to a Nursing Program form Mail, fax, or hand deliver the form to the Director of Nursing Programs at the Nursing and Allied Health Division office (building PB6-103 on the Upper Campus) by March 1st. Forms that are submitted after the March 1st deadline will be considered late. Late applications are considered for admission after all other applications only if there is space in the program. Applicants will receive written acknowledgement that their Intent to Apply form has been received.
  2. Arrange to take the test of Essential Academic Skills V (TEAS V) examination. Preregistration for the TEAS V is required. Information regarding registration, cost and testing dates and times for the TEAS V can be accessed at the TEAS V EXAM Information link.  Applicants for both the A.S. in Nursing and the C.A. in Practical Nursing must submit TEAS V test scores as part of the application process. TEAS V scores must be available by March 1st. For more information call the Nursing & Allied Health Division office at 808.934.2650.
  3. Students not currently enrolled at Hawaii Community College or another University of Hawai'i system campus must fill out a HawCC Common Application Form indicating their desire to enroll in the College the next fall semester.  Students who have not been admitted to HawCC will not be considered for acceptance into the nursing programs.
  4. All courses intended to be used to meet proficiency requirements and prerequisite courses must be approved by the College.  All courses for the degree must be taken for a letter grade. HawCC and other University of Hawai'i system students should refer to their STAR Degree check via their MyUH account to determine whether they have met the proficiency and/or prerequisite requirements. Refer to the Associate of Science in Nursing or Practical Nursing general information and requirements for more information.
  5. Transfer students are those who were previously enrolled at a college or university other than HawCC (including UHH). Non-HawCC students currently attending another UH system institution do not need to submit an official transcript from that UH system school.  However, the student must submit to the HawCC Addmission and Records Office the "Authorization Form to Access UH System Credits per Campus" form found at
    Arrange to submit this form prior to the March 1 deadline.  For assistance, contact a Nursing counselor in: East Hawai'i at (808) 934-2720, or West Hawai'i at (808) 969-8816.
  6. Non-HawCC students who have ever attended a college/university outside of the UH system (even those currently at a UH system school), must arrange to have an official transcript, printed in English, be sent to the Addmissions and Records Office directly from all non-HawCC institutions.  For all institutions outside of the UH System, students must keep in their possession a course catalog or course description for all courses.  Do not send this information to the Admission and Records Office. The materials submitted become the property of HawCC.
  7. Students needing assistance with transferring courses from non-HawCC institutions and with completing course waiver/substitutions should contact a Nursing counselor in: East Hawai'i at (808) 934-2720, or West Hawai'i at (808) 969-8816.  The course transfer process must be completed by the March 1st deadline.

Photo of Nursing Office

Contact Information
Hawaiʻi Community College
Division of Nursing & Allied Health
200 W. Kawili St.
Hilo, HI 96720-4091

Phone: (808) 934-2650
Fax: (808) 974-7778