Hawai'i Community College will be celebrating Earth Day with lots of fun educational events in Hilo and Kona. Join us!
Hawai'i CC and UH Hilo are hosting the 29th Annual Hawai'i CC and UH Hilo Earth Day Fair and Career Conservation Day on Friday, April 21 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. There will also be an Earth Day Fair Concert from 2 to 5 p.m. at the Campus Center Plaza. The Earth Fair is free and will again be held on the upper UH Hilo campus Campus Center Plaza and Library Lanai.
This year’s Earth Day celebration boasts educational videos, informational exhibits and science demonstrations, expert guest speakers, a food sustainability panel, environmental science skill-building workshops, marine touch-tanks, dance troupes, HICCUP Circus performance, hula, storytellers, face-painting, campus garden tours, an environmental career fair, unmanned aerial vehicle flight simulators, and many other engaging activities. Free plants, fruits, and other giveaways will be available throughout the day.
The 5th annual Conservation Career Day (CCD) is held in collaboration with Earth Fair. The event draws local scientists and agencies in the field of natural resource management, with the overall goal to inspire local students to become environmental stewards and to pursue careers in natural resource management. This event is designed to provide information to middle and high school students, with a specific focus on local employment opportunities.
- Kyle Datta, Ulupono Initiative, presents "Food Sustainability"
- Bruce Andersen, Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Aquatic Resources, presents "Coral Reef Bleaching Recovery Plan”
- Karen Eoff, District 8 Council Member, County of Hawai‘i, and Maile David, District 6 Council Member, County of Hawai'i, present "The Ahupua‘a System: Protecting Our Public Trust Resources"
- Anthony Carrasco, Hawaii Water Service Co., presents "Waikoloa Resort Wastewater Treatment Plant and Water Well Manager for Makalei Golf Club/Huehue Ranch/Kukio Resort"
- Kanaloa Octopus Farm representative
For more information about Earth Day Fair at Pālamanui, please contact Christina Hoffman at email@example.com.