How is the Hawai`i Community College Intensive English Program (IEP) different from the ESL program?
The IEP classes are non-credit and not covered by financial aid.
- ESL classes earn credit and qualify for financial aid.
- The IEP places students according to the following ESL Compass scores:
Level 1: 0-50
Level 2: 51-64
Level 3: 65-70
Level 4: 71+
- The ESL program places students according to the following ESL Compass
ESL 20R: 71-83
ESL 21: 84-93
ESL 20G: 71-83
ESL 22G: 84-93
ESL 20W: 13 for the writing sample
ESL 22W: 15 for the writing sample
IEP classes meet 4 times a week for 8 week sessions.
ESL classes run on a semester system (16 weeks).
- IEP focuses on the needs of international students with assistance for visas, housing, and adjusting to life in Hilo.
- The ESL program focuses on the needs of English language learners who are residents.