Do you have a difficult time retaining everything you have read?
Does your mind start to wander while you are reading?
Do you want to get the most out of your reading?
Here are some easy strategies to help improve your reading skills using the SQ3R Method:
- Preview the chapter by reading chapter headings, sub-headings, charts, graphs, illustrations, summaries, highlighted information, etc., etc.
- Ask yourself or write down specific questions after you have surveyed the chapter.
- Ask who, what, where, when, why, and how questions. This will help prepare you for what infomation you should learn from the reading.
- Try to answer some of the questions, which you already learned from your survey, prior to the reading.
- Begin reading.
- As you read each paragraph, ask yourself questions to keep engaged in the reading and to insure comprehension.
- After you read a section, recite what you have learned and the answers to your questions.
- Take some brief notes fof your answers and any other pertinent information you have learned.
- Finish the reading and then flip through the chapter as you did in the survey.
- At this point, you should be able to recall what you have in each section.
- Review your notes and make sure you have answered all your questions.
- This review will help you reorganize your thoughts and assist in recalling and retaining the information you have learned.