Do you find yourself writing down every word the instructor says?
Are your notes hard to decipher when reviewing for an exam?
The following strategies will help to refine your note taking skills.
PURPOSE OF NOTES
- Notes help to recall and retain pertinent information.
- Notation can assist with homework assignments.
- Notes identify key points for exams, homework assignments, and the comprehension of course material.
- Write down facts and main ideas.
- Determine what the instructor is emphasizing in class and write it down.
- Record all formulas and examples.
- Copy overhead informatiion.
HOW TO TAKE NOTES
- Use short hand.
- Use abbreviations.
- Leave space in your notes (skip lines or create space in margins) to add questions or further detail.
- Avoid writing down every word the instructor says.
- Review notes after class and write down possible test questions you think the instructor may cover in the next exam.