The Hospitality program has introduced new and advanced opportunities for me to succeed. Because of this program it's a proven fact that you can get promoted. It's interesting to work with such diverse people in a diverse world.
~ Brandy F.
The Hospitality and Tourism program is designed to provide job training for entry-level and first line supervisory level positions in the hospitality/visitor industry. Offering educational training in the field of hospitality/visitor industry will ensure a skilled pool of workers is continuously available to meet the industryâ€™s employment demand on the Island of Hawaiʻi. Additionally, making a career path possible to local workers strengthens the human assets of our community. The program was established to:
- Meet the growing needs of the hotels and related hospitality/ visitor organizations by training existing and future employees in basic skills needed to obtain entry-level and supervisory positions.
- Provide job upgrading skills necessary for career advancement in the hospitality/visitor industry.
- Develop skills in verbal and written communication.
- Develop skills in distance learning that will promote lifelong learning.
Program Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion, students are prepared to:
- Effectively and purposely use verbal and nonverbal language about Hospitality and Tourism topics with confidence, and appropriate to the audience.
- Use critical thinking skills to effectively synthesize and evaluate information from assigned readings and articles through written memos, reports, reflective notes, and essay exams.
- Conduct presentation projects that include Internet research and visual media.
- Interact with others through team-building speeches and visual-oral presentations, which are designed to promote teamwork solutions and teach teamwork principles.
- Values such as respect for diversity, the need for fairness, empathy, and human dignity are stressed.
- Demonstrate self-management related to the Hospitality Industry through practices that promote physical, mental, and emotional health.
Student Learning Outcome AssessmentWe are committed to quality learning through the systematic assessment of our programs and course learning outcomes.
|Assessment Reports |||Course Learning Outcomes |||Five-Year Assessment Plan |||Program Review|
Gainful Employment Disclosure
Beginning July 1, 2011, the US Department of Education began requiring colleges to disclose a variety of information for any financial aid eligible program that "prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation". We hope that this information is helpful to our current students and to prospective students as they make their career and educational choices.
The data includes occupations, placement rates, on-time completion rates, average costs and program median loan debt.
Phone: (808) 969-8842.