Skip to main content
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, personal safety practices are still in effect. Find more information about what you need to do to stay safe, please visit


Please submit the UH system health clearance form to Med+Proctor (Please scroll down and review the information about Med+Proctor).

Important Notice: Students who wish to register for classes that meet in person or hybrid will need to submit and clear all necessary health clearances, which include: TB, MMR (2 doses), Varicella (2 doses), and TDAP; please read below for additional information.

KNOW THE VAX before you enroll…

State of Hawaiʻi law mandates that certain health requirements be cleared before students can enter into postsecondary institutions. The following information is provided to assist students with fulfilling these requirements prior to beginning classes at UH.

What does Hawaiʻi State Law require for Post-Secondary School attendance?

The Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules, Chapter 11-157, requires all students to meet immunization requirements before they attend any post-secondary school in the state.

What are the health requirements for Post-Secondary School attendance in Hawaiʻi?

  • Immunizations
    A record of immunizations, signed or stamped by a U.S. licensed practitioner (physician, Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, or Physician Assistant) or the Hawaiʻi Department of Health, must be presented for school attendance.
  • Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance
    For information regarding TB clearance requirements, contact the Hawaiʻi Department of Health Tuberculosis Control Branch: call: (808) 832-5731 web:

What immunizations are required for any in-person courses and student employment?

  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
  • Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap)
  • Varicella
  • Meningococcal Conjugate (MCV)*

*Required for students (age 21 or younger) who will be living in on-campus housing for the first time.

Where can I get immunizations?

  • Talk to your doctor. If you don’t have a doctor and need one, call Aloha United Way 2-1-1.
  • If you are attending the University of Hawaiʻi at Manoa, University of Hawaiʻi Hilo, University of Maui College or Leeward Community College, you may check with their health centers for assistance with vaccinations.

Print the UH Health Clearance Form and bring it to your medical provider. The medical practitioner will review the requirements, enter the required information, and sign each form. Note that forms must be completed by a US licensed practitioner. A US licensed practitioner signed record of immunizations (and any supporting documentation - with dates) may be submitted in lieu of the UH Health Clearance Form.


The University of Hawaiʻi has partnered with Med+Proctor for the clearance of Health Immunization Records. As of spring 2023, all incoming students are required to use Med+Proctor to submit their Health Clearance/Immunization records.

To submit your records for clearance, use the following instructions to create your Med+Proctor account:

Step One: Register


Step Two: Download

  • Download the UH Health Clearance Form and have a licensed medical provider complete the form. (A licensed provider can sign the form; it does not have to be the provider who originally vaccinated you.)


Step Three: Upload

  • Once your form has been completed and signed by a healthcare provider, log back into your account and upload it to Med+Proctor. You will receive an email confirmation once the forms have been reviewed.


Questions and Support

  • If you have difficulty using MedProctor, you may contact MedProctor between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday. During these hours, you can chat with their support agents directly from their support site or while you are completing your student workflow. You may also email with questions and their support agents to take care of you.


**Note: YOU DO NOT NEED TO PAY FOR MED+PROCTOR SERVICES. However, students may opt in to a Med+Proctor membership for a one-time fee of $10. Membership provides lifetime access to your TB and immunization data. If you do not wish to take advantage of the membership, when asked to submit your records, choose the gray button at the bottom, which says “No, thank you. I do not want access to my documents.”

Med+Proctor is HIPAA and FERPA compliant. Review their privacy policy. For assistance with Med+Proctor, please visit to live chat or email at and they will speak directly with you. Due to federal FERPA and HIPAA regulations Med+Proctor does not offer telephone customer support to discuss student medical records or class hold status.


  • IF the Risk Assessment Form presents risks, one of the following is required:
    • A negative Tuberculin skin test (PPD-Mantoux). The skin test must be read 48-72 hours after administration and documented in millimeters (mm). Test results without the induration in millimeters will be rejected.
    • A negative QuantiFERON Gold In-Tube or T-Spot Blood Test.
    • A negative chest x-ray (taken within the last 12 months) with laboratory report/results attached.
  • TB clearance should be completed before receiving any live vaccines or before getting any vaccines.
  • Blood tests outside of the U.S. are accepted.
  • All TB risk assessments/skin tests/chest x-rays MUST be completed and signed by a U.S.-Licensed Healthcare
  • Professional (M.D., D.O., N.P., P.A., or clinic stamp). (Chapter 164.2 of Title 11. Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) for Tuberculosis)
  • Not required if the planned course is less than 120 days.
  • If the student is never physically on campus for instruction or training.


  • 2 doses of MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) are required
    • 1st dose must have been given on or after 12 months of age.
    • 2nd dose must have been given at least 4 weeks after the first dose.
  • Lab results and reference ranges must be submitted for titer shots.
  • Student was born before 1957 (must provide proof of birth date).
  • Laboratory evidence of immunity (positive antibodies) to Measles and/or Rubella. Please note that the State of Hawaiʻi Department of Health does not accept serologic test results for Mumps immunity.


  • 2 doses of varicella vaccine are required.
    • 1st dose must be given after the age of 12 months.
    • 2nd dose must have been given 4 weeks after 1st dose (for students who received 1st dose at age 13 years or older)
  • Students born in the United States prior to 1980 (Must provide proof of date of birth)
  • A signed, documented diagnosis or verification of a history of varicella disease or herpes zoster by a practitioner may be substituted for a record of varicella vaccination. Practitioners may complete this form to confirm the documented diagnosis.


  • 1 dose required - most recent Tdap.
  • NOTE: Valid Tdap dose must be administered on or after 10 years of age. Do not confuse with DTaP (administered to children 0-6 years of age). Tdap was licensed for use in the U.S. in 2005. Doses recorded as “Tdap” with an administration date in the U.S. prior to 2005 should not be counted.


  • 1 dose required - most recent dose must have been given on or after the age of 16 years.
  • NOTE: Only required for new students planning to live on-campus who are 21 years of age or younger.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What are the health requirements for post-secondary school attendance in Hawaiʻi?

The Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules, Chapter 11-157 require all students to meet immunization and tuberculosis clearance requirements before they attend post-secondary school in the state. For information about these requirements, see the Post-Secondary Schools: Important Notice to Students and Immunization Requirements Summary.

When are the health clearance requirements due?

All students entering post-secondary school in Hawaiʻi for the first time must have met immunization requirements before registering for any in-person or hybrid class(es). Please allow 1-2 weeks after submission for processing. Please note that students will not be allowed to attend face-to-face or hybrid classes until they meet all health clearance requirements.

What health records are required?

  • Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance
  • 2 doses of the Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
  • Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap)
  • 2 doses of the Varicella

Evidence of immunization for Meningococcal Conjugate (MCV) is also required for students who are 21 years or younger and who will be living in on-campus housing for the first time.

Where do I obtain a copy of my health records?

Students should obtain the record from their healthcare provider. In some cases students may be able to access this information from their electronic health records. Recent high school graduates may also submit their high school record of health clearances which will suffice if it reports all the necessary information for all of the required vaccinations.

What if I am transferring from another state or territory of the U.S.?

The university will accept out-of-state records that meet the State of Hawaiʻi requirements for immunizations, and tuberculosis clearance. Health clearance requirements vary from state to state. You will need to show proof that the health requirements have been met prior to attendance. Please submit documentation of immunizations signed by a US provider to show compliance with the State of Hawaiʻi requirements.

What document(s) can I submit?

  • Immunization records from your healthcare provider, public health department, or state immunization registry, or
  • Copy of your childhood immunization records, or
  • Copy of your military immunization record

For military records, if I have a record that says "indefinite" for MMR, etc., would this be acceptable?

Yes. As long as it notes complete dates (month/day/year). Per 11-157-3.05 Documentation of immunizations (b) Documentation of immunizations shall include the complete date (recorded as month/day/year) the vaccine was administered. An immunization record without complete dates may be accepted…if it can be determined that each vaccination complied with the minimum interval and age requirements.

Is DTap the same as Tdap?

No, it is not the same. DTaP is administered to children less than 7 years of age (i.e., usually administered to infants with series completion prior to Kindergarten entry). Tdap is a different vaccine that is administered to persons >7 years of age (usually administered to adolescents 11-12 years of age along with HPV and MCV).

Are titers allowed for MMR and/or VC?

No. See:, Table 6 (excerpted below). Serologic evidence of immunity is permitted for measles and rubella but NOT for mumps. Note, there is no single antigen mumps vaccine available so persons would need to receive MMR vaccine anyway. Serologic evidence of immunity is not permitted for Varicella.

Excerpt from Table 6:

Documentation of serologic evidence of immunity

  • Serologic evidence of immunity may be substituted for a record of immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, hepatitis A, measles, or rubella (ACIP’s General Best Practice Guidelines for Immunization:
  • Documentation must include a laboratory report, signed by a practitioner, certifying that the student is immune to the named disease(s).



  • Students born in the United States prior to 1980: varicella vaccination not required
  • A signed, documented diagnosis or verification of a history of varicella disease or herpes zoster by a practitioner may be substituted for a record of varicella vaccination

Can the health form be signed by a Pharmacist?

No. According to HAR 11-157, “Documentation of immunizations shall indicate the department of health or the name of the practitioner responsible for reviewing each immunization. The documentation shall also bear the signature of the practitioner or the stamp or imprinted name of the department, the practitioner, or licensed facility at which the practitioner practices.” (HAR 11-157-3.05[a]). The HAR 11-157 definition of “Practitioner” does not include Pharmacists: ““Practitioner” means a physician, advanced practice registered nurse, or physician assistant licensed to practice in any of the states or territories of the United States. A physician, advanced practice registered nurse, or physician assistant whose license is on the inactive status or who is not actively practicing shall not be deemed to be a practitioner for the purposes of this chapter.” If immunization is received at a Pharmacy, the Department of Health recommends that you take the immunization card to your physician to verify the information and certify (sign) the health clearance form.

How do I contact support for Med+Proctor?

Med+Proctor offers a chat line from 9 a.m.-9 p.m. (CST) daily. Visit to read articles that may address your questions or use the chat line (you will see it in the lower right-hand corner of their website).

Do I have to pay $10.00 to use the site?

No. The $10.00 fee is only if you want lifetime access to your health records stored on Med+Proctor. If you do not want lifetime access, click “Continue”; there is no fee for Med+Proctor services to upload your records.

I am having difficulty uploading my documents. What tips do you have?

You may simply take a picture of the immunization form and upload it through your mobile device. OR you may save a scanned image of the form to your computer and upload. Med+Proctor will not accept a word document.