Skip to main content

Student Employment

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is required for all financial aid.

Student Employment

Student employment consists of on-campus jobs available to Hawai’i Community College students. Students may apply for jobs in the student employment portal (SECE) (new students can view job opportunities starting 3 weeks prior to the start of their first semester). Work hours are generally flexible and do not interfere with scheduled courses. The maximum number of hours a student employee can work per week during academic periods is 20, and 29 during interim periods and breaks.

All student employees must be enrolled at least half-time during the fall and spring semesters, be in good academic standing, and be eligible to work in the United States. Additional minimum qualifications are determined by the employer.

Once a student employee is hired, the student must submit their I-9 form in SECE, then appear in person to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs to submit original documentation, as listed on the I-9 form, to verify their eligibility to work. To schedule an I-9 appointment, email

All students are encouraged to sign up for direct deposit.

There are two primary types of student employment: Federal Work-Study (FWS) and general employment (UH).

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federal student aid program that provides funding for part-time employment to help cover the costs of education. The primary benefits include on-campus employment that does not interfere with scheduled courses and wages that are not counted as regular income for federal financial aid purposes.

To qualify for work-study, students must enroll in at least 6 credits per semester, have unmet financial need (as determined by the FAFSA), and their home campus must be Hawai’i Community College. Work-study awards are posted to student financial aid accounts and wages are paid using FWS funding, up to the amount awarded. Students who have exceeded their work-study allotment may continue to be employed if their employer chooses to pay their wages out of departmental funds.

Work-study eligibility and award amounts may be sent to campus employers for the purpose of developing and managing departmental budgets.

General Employment (UH)

General employment (UH) consists of on-campus student jobs funded by the hiring department. Departments without work-study allocations may post jobs for which any student who meets general eligibility requirements can apply.

Bridge to Hope

Bridge to Hope is a partnership between the University of Hawai’i and the Hawai’i State Department of Human Services’ First-to-Work program. Bridge to Hope fully funds wages up to 20 hours per week of on-campus student employment for students who are enrolled full-time and have First-to-Work employment obligations. Students who participate in the Bridge to Hope program can apply for any Hawai'i Community College jobs in SECE, and employers work collaboratively with the employee to accommodate the needs of student parents. For questions about Bridge to Hope and related services at Hawai'i Community College, contact Wailani Walker by emailing

Employers who would like to hire student employees should post jobs in SECE. Student worker wages are paid by the employer (UH), by work-study (FWS), or both (UH & FWS). FWS funding is limited, and not all students or jobs are eligible for work-study, so most jobs should be categorized as UH & FWS. Once the hiring department has identified student workers they are interested in interviewing and/or hiring, the department can submit a Federal Work-Study Request to obtain a work-study allocation and verify whether any candidates would be eligible for work-study, which may factor into hiring decisions.

If a job is contingent upon FWS funding, the hiring department should submit a Federal Work-Study Request prior to posting the job in SECE. Upon receipt of the request, the Financial Aid Office (FAO) will determine if FWS funds are available to allocate for the position. If so, the department will be given an allocation and a deadline by which to hire an eligible student employee. If the department does not hire an eligible student employee by the deadline, the allocation may be withdrawn.