This program is designed to provide attitudes, skills, and knowledge for people who work with young children and their families in a variety of early childhood programs. The Certificate of Completion (C.C.) or Certificate of Achievement (C.A.) prepares students for support roles in early childhood programs. An Associate in Science (A.S.) degree prepares students to be teachers or lead practitioners in early childhood programs. Students taking Laboratory or Practicum courses may be required to complete fingerprinting and criminal history record checks.
This degree is fully articulated with the Bachelor of Arts in Social Science (with a concentration in Early Childhood Education) offered through the University of Hawaiʻi West Oʻahu via Distance Education. Student interested in pursuing the BA degree with UH West Oʻahu are encouraged to meet with an Early Childhood Education advisor their first semester.
Program Learning Outcomes
Professional & Career Education Program
- Use knowledge of child development and of individual children to create healthy, challenging learning environments and experiences.
- Observe, document and assess all children's development and learning in partnership with families.
- Build positive relationships and guide all children through supportive interactions.
- Use content knowledge and appropriate pedagogy to create/design, implement and assess learning experiences.
- Use reflective practice to demonstrate professionalism.
- Build respectful partnerships with children's families and their communities.
General Education Requirements
Certificate of Achievement:
- Eng 21 or 102 or higher
- Eng 22 or 100 or ESL 15
- SpCo 51 or 151
- Math 22 or higher
- Eng 100
- Eng 102 or higher
- SpCo 151
- Phil 110 or Math 100 or higher (Math 115 recommended)
- 3 credits Natural Environment electives (100 level or higher)
- 6 credits Social Environment electives (100 level or higher)
- 3 credits Cultural Environment electives (100 level or higher)
- 3 credits (Ed 252 or Ed 255 or Humanities 100 level or higher)
- 3 credits of General Electives (100 level or higher)