This program is designed to provide attitudes, skills, and knowledge for people who work with young children and their families in a variety of early childhood programs. The Certificate of Competence (C.O.) or Certificate of Achievement (C.A.) prepares students for support roles in early childhood programs. An Associate in Science (A.S.) degree prepares students to be teachers or lead practitioners in early childhood programs.
Students taking Laboratory or Practicum courses are required to complete and provide documentation for the following:
- Fingerprinting through DHS- there is a small fee
- Criminal History Check and Child Welfare clearances
- TB Clearance
- First Aid & CPR Training
- State licensing Child Care Registry
This degree is fully articulated the Bachelor of Arts in Social Science (with a concentration in Early Childhood Education) offered through the University of Hawai‘i West O‘ahu via Distance Education. There are also articulation agreements with Chaminade University of Honolulu, UH Manoa and the UH Hilo Psychology program. Students interested in any of these programs are encouraged to meet with an Early Childhood advisor in their first semester to review program requirements .
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion, students are prepared to:
- Use knowledge of child development and of individual children to create healthy, challenging learning environments, and experiences.
- Build respectful partnerships with children, families, colleagues, and communities.
- Build positive relationships and guide children through supportive interactions.
- Observe, document, and assess children’s development and learning in partnerships with families.
- Plan, implement, and assess learning experiences using appropriate content, concepts, and methods.
- Use reflective practices to base decisions and actions on ethical and professional standards.
- Advocate for children and their families within the program.
Beginning July 1, 2011, the US Department of Education began requiring colleges to disclose a variety of information for any financial aid eligible program that "prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation". We hope that this information is helpful to our current students and to prospective students as they make their career and educational choices.
The data includes occupations, placement rates, on-time completion rates, average costs and program median loan debt.