The Accounting program prepares students for entry level positions in private and public businesses. Learning centers on the accounting equation (assets = liabilities + equity). The accounting cycle, recording financial transactions, and preparing financial statements.
Program Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion, students are prepared to:
- Perform basic accounting tasks and business math skills to maintain accurate accounting systems in for-profit organizations.
- Communicate with stake holders in a manner that reflects organizational culture and sensitivity to diverse customer and community needs.
- Perform basic office functions using standard and emerging technologies.
- Demonstrate, in a work environment, effective self-management through efficient use of time and personal commitments.
- Participate effectively in individual and group decision making.
- Use critical thinking skills to make decisions that reflect legal and ethical standards of the accounting profession.
Student Learning Outcome AssessmentWe are committed to quality learning through the systematic assessment of our program and course learning outcomes.
Click here to view the Instructional Program Assessment Reports and Plans
What Do We Have To Offer?
No matter what career you choose, success in the workplace requires:
- Managing money and resources intelligently
- Applying critical thinking and communications skills
- Maintaining high standards of professional ethics and personal integrity
By erolling in the Hawaiʻi Community College Accounting Program, students learn & develop these skills, competencies & values.
The Accounting Program offers a Certificate of Achievement in Accounting (CA) and an Associate in Applied Science degree (AAS).
|Certificate of Achievement in Accounting||Associate in Applied Science (AAS)|
Upon satisfactory completion of 31 credits, a student earns a Certificate of Achievement and would be prepared for the following careers:
Upon satisfactory completion of 61 credits, a student earns an Associate in Applied Science degree and would be prepared for all the Certificate of Achievement careers as well as:
I strongly recommend the Accounting program at Hawaii Community College. They offer a variety of courses where students can learn valuable work skills and get hands-on experience. I found the faculty and staff very helpful in providing a broad student support system. They offer one-on-one help, after class tutoring, and career planning assistance. They even help with finding job opportunities. Thanks to Hawaii Community College I felt prepared to get the job I really wanted and to reach further academic goals.
Small Business Specialist
Taketa, Iwata, Hara & Associates, LLC
HawCC 2009 Graduate
Gainful Employment Disclosure
Beginning July 1, 2011, the US Department of Education began requiring colleges to disclose a variety of information for any financial aid eligible program that "prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation". We hope that this information is helpful to our current students and to prospective students as they make their career and educational choices.
The data includes occupations, placement rates, on-time completion rates, average costs and program median loan debt.