Top of Page

FEBRUARY 23, 2006 ACCREDITATION STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

Meeting Notes

February 23, 2006

 

I.      Meeting notes

a.       The February 9 meeting notes were approved with a correction that “as part of the second draft review, Lou will concentrate on Standard IV.”

b.      Jennie will post them on the website.

 

II.      Strategy for Themes

a.       Jennie suggested when writing the accreditation report, writers should

                                                   i.      Use active voice

                                                 ii.      Start with a strong, clear statement such as: The theme of dialog has been a driving force….

b.      Doug commented that all themes need to be integrated

c.       Jennie clarified that not every self evaluation section has to address every theme

d.      Jennie shared that Standard 3 has a grid showing where each theme was addressed.

e.       Lou asked if we should have a template showing how to interact with the themes

                                                   i.      Jennie volunteered to work on a template. She will do a paragraph using the themes and alternative buzz words.

f.        The question was raised if writers should focus on doing one theme really well in each section or multiple themes.

                                                   i.      The consensus was to use as many themes as applicable remembering that each statement of theme needs supporting evidence. The Guide provided by ACCJC has examples of evidence for each theme. See page 10 of the Guide to Evaluating Institutions Using ACCJC 2002 Standards.

                                                 ii.      Trina reminded everyone of all the information provided at the March 2005 Learning Day. The packets distributed included the program review template, schedule, and other “supporting evidence.” Over 100 people received the packet. Whether they remember what was in the packet is another issue; the “evidence” was distributed.

g.       Doug reminded us that each of the themes has to do with how we improve ourselves as a learning centered college. For example,

                                                   i.      Human Resources – if the college does not promote equity and diversity, learners suffer.

                                                 ii.      Business Office – if requisitions aren’t processed, learning suffers

h.       The entire College Community should be looking at the accreditation draft. It is available on the website and an email was sent campus wide with the link.

i.         Kathy said she would be giving paragraphs to different standards that she would like to see in the report regarding the mission statement and West Hawaii.

j.        In reviewing the draft, we agreed that instead of giving standard chairs marginal notes “to include this or that” we will give them specific, concrete suggestions, perhaps even a sample of how we think the section should read. The more specific, the better.

 

III.      March 3, 2006 Learning Day

a.        Trina reported the focus of the afternoon is on the Planning Agendas. All agreed the  2nd draft is widely available but not necessarily widely known. Hopefully, the March 3 activity will increase awareness. Faculty, staff, administrators, and student government are included in the March 3 activities.

b.      Jennie has compiled all of the planning agendas. They comprise a 28 page document.

                                                   i.      Jennie’s compilation will be used to make posters to display around the room

c.       Beth will do a PowerPoint summarizing the planning agendas. This will be used by the standard chairs/committee members in their review of the planning agendas.

d.      Participants will be asked to make suggestions on post-it notes as the planning agendas are reviewed. Following the overview, they may put the post-it notes on the applicable standard.

e.       Doug suggested we focus on who is responsible for the planning agenda. We need to make sure the person responsible is in agreement with the task.

 

IV.      Next Meeting – Thursday, March 9, 2006 - Manono Conference Room 6A, 9:00 AM